Advancing Democracy and Social Justice in Canada: The Next 30 Years
For 30 years, the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives has been giving voice to progressive ideas. In an era of shrinking progressive think tanks and growing right-wing think tanks, we’d like to celebrate our three decades of accomplishments.
On November 18, we celebrated 30 years with a gala dinner and a conference entitled Advancing Democracy and Social Justice in Canada: The Next 30 Years.
The conference and gala dinner, hosted by inveterate Canadian actor Eric Peterson, was a who’s who of progressive thinkers, activists, politicians as well as CCPA staff, research associates, board from across Canada.
Click on the speakers below to watch their talk. A better-quality version from CPAC will be featured soon.
Conference: University of Ottawa, Tabaret Hall Room 112, 550 Cumberland Street, Ottawa
Welcome: Heather-jane Robertson & Bruce Campbell, CCPA Vice President and Executive Director, respectively, 9:00-9:15 a.m.
Chair: Gerry Caplan
- Alex Neve, Director, Amnesty International-Canada
- Olivia Nuamah, Executive Director, Atkinson Foundation
- Professor Paul Saurette, University of Ottawa
- Kate Rexe, Director, Sisters in Spirit, Native Women’s Association of Canada
Lunch speaker: Linda McQuaig
Session Two: The Economy: From Recession to Recovery to Transformation:, 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Chair: Mike McCracken, Chairman and CEO, Informetica Ltd
- Dean Baker, Co-director, Centre for Economic and Policy Research-Washington
- Jim Stanford, Economist, Canadian Auto Workers
- Armine Yalnizyan, Senior Economist, Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives
- Iglika Ivanova, Economist, CCPA, BC Office
- Audience Questions