The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA) is Canada’s leading progressive research institute, focusing on issues of social, economic and environmental justice. The CCPA’s BC Office is currently recruiting an Administration and Operations Specialist. This position is suited to someone who enjoys administration, brings strong attention to details, and works well both collaboratively and independently. The successful candidate will support the CCPA-BC management and development teams in a respectful environment where administrative work is valued. This position works from our office in downtown Vancouver.
Closing date for applications: Extended to November 16, 2021. This posting will remain open until position is filled; interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Start Date: We aim to fill the position as soon as possible
Duration: Permanent 0.8 time (28 hrs/week)
Salary: The annual 0.8 time starting salary is $44,281 (rising to $61,700 over six years) plus benefits. The CCPA-BC is a unionized workplace with a six-step grid, six weeks of holidays to start, a pension plan, and a very generous benefits package that includes employer-paid extended health insurance, and an Eco-transit allowance.
The CCPA-BC is committed to inclusive hiring practices and encourages applications by candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Reporting to the Director of Operations & Finance, the role will be responsible for coordinating and carrying out various administrative and development functions, including:
- Maintaining CCPA-BC’s operations, including liaising with suppliers, contractors, and building maintenance as required. Maintaining office supplies inventory;
- Providing administrative support to the management team, assisting with the organization & coordination of internal & external events;
- Answering/directing incoming calls and email inquiries, taking messages;
- Administering the day to day bookkeeping activities of the CCPA BC Office (including payables, invoicing and receipt of revenues) and liaising with finance staff at the CCPA national office.
- Assembling cash and cheque deposits, including secure transfer to bank, and secure storage between transfers;
- Coding all income, invoices Visa receipts, and statements;
- Processing donations, including data entry in the donor database;
- Ensuring data integrity and accuracy in our donor database;
- Creating reports for tracking donation reconciliation in monthly financial statements;
- Supporting development staff and the management team by running database queries, such as donor recognition lists, invitation lists, mailing lists, etc;
- Assisting with data analysis and monitoring of donation trends;
- Ensuring all organizational supporters are in good standing, preparing correspondence and supporting funding proposals;
- Supporting the organization of an annual fundraising gala and other events.
Qualifications and skills
- This position is suited to someone who enjoys administrative duties and takes pride in performing them with accuracy and speed;
- Diploma or Certificate (or equivalent experience) in Office Administration, Bookkeeping or related field;
- Strong computer user who learns new software and skills quickly. We are seeking someone who has most of the following specific skills: Demonstrated ability to work effectively with complex spreadsheets; experience working with databases (experience with Nationbuilder and/or DonorPerfect is an asset but not required); at least some experience using accounting software.
- The successful candidate will have strong organizational and time management skills, and excellent attention to detail;
- Commitment of the CCPA’s purpose and values of social, economic and environmental justice;
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and contribute to a positive office culture;
- Experience working with a non-profit organization is desirable.
Submit a 1–2 page cover letter and resume (including references) as a single PDF file with your last name in the filename to Dropbox here.
If you run into problems with the file upload or require additional clarification, please contact Mariwan Jaaf, Director of Operations and Finance, at [email protected] (no phone calls please).
This posting will be open until the position is filled, interviews will be conducted on rolling basis.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
About the CCPA-BC
The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives is an independent, non-partisan research institute concerned with issues of social, economic and environmental justice. The BC Office is a leading voice in public policy debates in our province and focuses on a range of issues including poverty, inequality, climate justice, housing, and racial inequities. The CCPA is a non-profit charitable organization. Our largest source of revenue is individual donations.